with Maria Zemantauski, Thomasina Winslow, and Ron Gordon
This is a guitar-centric event that provides great learning and listening opportunities for guitarists on every level. You’ll have a chance to learn from and interact with true experts of the acoustic guitar. There will be workshops where new perspectives, sounds and techniques will be taught. Wrapping up the day will be a concert featuring the diverse acoustic styles of our teachers.
- 8:30 am — Doors open, participant check-in.
- 9:15 am — Introductions
9:30 am — Early Morning Workshops
- Old Songs Building — Maria Zemantauski: Rasquedo; three ﬂamenco strum patterns and how to incorporate them into basic dance rhythms: farruca and rumba
- American Legion — Thomasina Winslow: Fingerstyle Piedmont Blues. Educate that thumb! The ﬁne points of ﬁngerpicking using the thumb with alternating strings and learning to improvise in the style.
- 11:00 am — Late Morning Workshops
- Old Songs Building — Ron Gordon: Traditional bass runs, bass melody and the “Carter Scratch” The roots of playing country guitar.
- American Legion — Thomasina Winslow: Improvisation with the blues using chord progressions and bass lines.
- noon — Lunch Out (of the building): There is a town park and a diner a block away. Many eateries on Rte 20, Western Ave.
- 1:30 pm — Afternoon Workshops
- Old Songs Building — Maria Zemantauski: Continuation of the morning session with the addition of soleares and 12 beat compas.
- American Legion — Ron Gordon: Flat Picking Fiddle Tunes – Technique, exercises, dexterity and tunes.
- 3:00 pm — Sampler Concert: See and hear these workshops come to life!
- 4:30 pm — Everybody go home and practice!
Notes — Workshops are for approximately one hour. The American Legion is across the street from Old Songs.
Maria Zementauski — Guitarist and composer extraordinaire, who has performed extensively throughout our area and beyond. She is a nylon-string guitarist and composer whose style is inﬂuenced by a variety of musical genres, most notably, Spanish classical, flamenco and American fingerstyle. mariazguitar.com
Thomasina Winslow — Traditional Blues guitarist who recreates meticulous versions of the 20s–30s fingerpicking styles that sound magical in expression and feeling. thomasinawinslow.com
Ron Gordon — His dedicated guitar class asked to have a guitar event here in the Capital District. Teaching and performing traditional flat pick and finger — picking styles, going back to the 1840’s — to today. learnyourfrets.com