A one day intensive for ukulele players featuring: Joel Eckhaus of Earnest Instruments and Jim Beloff of Flea Market Music, member of the Electric City Uke Club and the Troy Ukulele Meet Up, with host, Ron Gordon
For three decades, Joel Eckhaus has been singing and playing the ukulele, mandolin, tenor guitar, banjo and musical saw in string bands, swing bands, and vaudeville shows. He studied the ukulele and tenor banjo with Roy Smeck, Vaudeville’s ‘Wizard of the Strings,’ and is now in demand as a player and teacher at uke festivals and workshops around the country.
Active songwriter, player, master teacher and author, Jim Beloff has collaborated and recorded with ukulele legends Herb Ohta (Ohta-San) and Lyle Ritz. Through Flea Market Music, Inc, he originated the popular Jumpin’ Jim’s series of ukulele songbooks sold worldwide, as well as collections of blues, bluegrass, classical music and jazz standards arranged for ukulele by some of the finest players in the world.
Ron Gordon, the Capital Region’s ukulele guru, has long crusaded for all things uke in Upstate New York, spreading the uke gospel to kids and adults. He has performed with St. Regis String Band, Mandolin Madness & Festival Jug Band. He teaches acoustic music in varied styles and on varied instruments: guitar, banjo, mandolin; and of course, plays and teaches ukulele at festivals, onstage, and for private students and events.
- 10:30 am: Registration
- 11:00 am – 12:00:
- Beginning ukulele with Ron Gordon
- Chord Melody I with Joel Eckhaus
- Ukelele Emporium
- 12:00 noon: Bring your Lunch
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm:
- Fingerpicking ukulele with Ron Gordon
- Advanced Beginners I with Jim Beloff
- 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm:
- Chord Melody II with Joel Eckhaus
- Advanced Beginners II with Jim Beloff
- 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Open Mic
- 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm: Potluck Supper (bring a dish to share)
- 7:30 pm: Concert with Ron Gordon, Ukulele Clubs, Joel Eckhaus and Jim Beloff (Open to the public, $15)
Or call Old Songs to reserve your spot: (518) 765-2815.
Refunds are not available for this event.